For higher rate tax payers, the jump from 24% to 40% CGT is quite substantial.
This would mean that I crystalise a gain and pay 24% tax in the 2026/2027 tax year, but there would be no associated cost by having to wait a few days to buy back the shares, etc.
Let us assume that on Tuesday October 27th 2026 I sold some shares (say VWRL) for a profit of £10,000 and I am a higher rate tax payer. The CGT would be £10k x 0.24 = £2400 but if I sold after the budget on the 29th October 2026, the CGT would be £10k x 0.4 = £4000 which is £1600 more than if I had sold before the budget.
Now according to the HMRC 30-day rule, if I buy back the same shares within 30 days, then the subsequent buy is matched against the previous sell. It is possible that the price has gone up between the time I sold and the time I rebought the shares, but it is unlikely that the price would have gone up 16% or more!
So this means that I could sell some shares on 27 October and then, if the budget CGT rates did not go up, I could buy them back again on the 29th (and perhaps lose a bit if the share price went up in those few days) but I would potentially save £1600 in tax if the CGT rate did go up to 40% - I could buy different shares (and pay the 24% tax that year) or buy back the same shares after 30 days (and pay the 24% tax in this tax year).
With an ETF, the change in share price over a few days plus the bid/offer spread should be fairly minimal. On £10k I may lose say £0-£200 by selling and buying back but I would save £1600 in CGT.
So, if the CGT rates do change, I can use the cash to buy different shares - if the CGT rates did not change I can buy back the same shares the following day. So after selling on 27th Oct...
- NO CGT RISE - buy back same shares on Thursday 29th October (maybe lose £200) or buy different shares
- CGT RISE - use cash to buy different shares or buy same shares after 30 days (save £1400 in tax)
This would probably only be worth doing on large, non-volatile holdings.
Easier solution?
To make it easier to calculate and not having to buy back again and worry about the 30-day rule, a simpler approach would be to sell before Wednesday October 28th and buy a slightly different ETF. e.g.
Before Oct 28th - Sell VWRL (dist.) and buy PACW (dist.) instead.
This would mean that I crystalise a gain and pay 24% tax in the 2026/2027 tax year, but there would be no associated cost by having to wait a few days to buy back the shares, etc.
It would however mean that any loss through the sell/buyback would be minimal.
If you are really worried about this CGT rate hike, maybe this is a solution for you?
Note: I am not a tax advisor or qualified to give advice. This is just an idea from a random guy on the internet! This is not advice!
No comments:
Post a Comment