The last few weeks has been interesting. My portfolio seems to have recovered and I am up £7k this month on Trading 212...
| £150k Portfolio - Invest (£110k deposited) + ISA (£40k deposited) |
Here are the Rate of Return figures for the two accounts:
GIA IRR 83% (19% YTD) Opened Feb 2024 £110k deposited over 26 months
ISA IRR 46% (20% YTD) Opened April 2025 £20k+£20k deposits in 15 months
At last, it seems that gold, silver and rare metals are beginning to recover. A few of my miners are now in profit again and several more are trending upwards and hopefully will soon also be in profit.
Losers
In my ISA, my biggest losers are currently Tokyo Electron, Corning, MP and Oklo.
In my GIA, my biggest losers are the recently bought SK Hynix and the long-held miner Equinox. Both of these I expect to recover however. Again, with SK Hynix, my timing sucked! It looked like the shares were bouncing back but it seems I bought too early!
My top GIA holdings are shown below:
I am hoping August will be a good month for AI stocks. The cheaper AI Chinese models appear to be putting up their prices while Anthropic and OpenAI seem to be more generous with their tokens. This is a sign that there is competition for customers. Many businesses are still experimenting with AI, but I am convinced that large businesses will want to add their own AI servers or subscribe to closed models in the future. This bodes well for component suppliers and server/infrastructure suppliers.
Meanwhile, China is buying gold and also has a strangle hold on rare earth metals (esp. processing). Battery technology has at last reached a point where it is safe and cheap. Electric cars and home battery storage will continue to mushroom and there will be increasing demand for copper, silver, magnets and electricity. Nuclear energy/SMRs are too slow to build which means LNG generators may be the only (expensive) solution in the near term. I can see Data centers powered by a mixture of solar, wind, battery, LNG generators and the grid. Energy supply is all very messy. I can foresee many AI companies going bust if they do not control their expenses and cash flow!
My plans and tips
I missed the gold peak while holding miners (I should have sold). I will try not to miss the next gold peak. I am looking to sell some of my stocks around the end of August even though it will trigger taxable events in my GIA. My T212 portfolios are currently invested into three main areas - metal miners, AI picks and shovel companies and global ETFs.
Trump may well be impeached soon or do very badly in the mid-terms and USA debt looks massive, so I may invest the cash from my share sales into global ETFs, global value ETFs and ex-USA global ETFs, etc. or just CSH2.
If I was investing new money now, apart from a global ETF, I would look at buying more EQGB (at least for August 2026) and BNKE. This would diversify into both the NASDAQ and European banks...
Maybe next month I will reach the magic £200k point!
Note: This is not investment advice. I have several other portfolios besides T212, with core investments in global ETFs. Never invest more than you can afford to lose (or at least lose up to 50% of it!).
No comments:
Post a Comment