My two T212 accounts together have finally broken the £200k barrier (£150k deposited over 30 months)! It probably won't last but it's still nice to see. My IRRs are now 50% for my Trading 212 Stocks ISA and 90% for my Invest account.
Semiconductor gains have been variable but my metals holdings (gold, silver, rare earths, copper, etc.) seems to finally be on the rise after being undervalued for months.
| £51k up! Deposits: £110k + £40k |
Trading this week
I had some cash in my ISA and decided to top up Corning (which is still sitting at a loss), MP Materials (on the up) and Western Digital (already in profit).
Outlook for this month
I am becoming increasingly worried by Trump and his minions. His shenanigans seem to be completely illegal to me, he is delaying his remaining court cases (those that he has not managed to make himself immune from prosecution) rather than actually defending them and the USA national debt is now at over $40 Trillion. USA is selling it's gold, no one wants USA bonds and China is buying gold while it is on sale - as are many banks around the world.
Expenditure on AI seems to be exploding (but it seems pension companies and private equity are being asked to stick their necks out and take the risk, not the banks or AI companies themselves). Also, HP, Dell and Lenovo server sales seem to be increasing, which may indicate that many large corporates are building their own AI data resources rather than relying on a third-party to bill them for expensive and haphazard tokens or simply deny them access on the whim of a government.
Worst case, I can foresee Trump being impeached and he and his legal 'team' and cronies imprisoned. His many accounts will be seized and his Acts and Executive orders reversed (if anyone grows a backbone and stands up for the people). This would cause a massive dip (albeit temporarily) in USA shares and a weak dollar. I am beginning to think that many people are aware of this and that he is getting away with it because the USA is 'too big to fail' just like the banks were 'too big to fail' and, as in the case of HSBC, many people are 'Too big to Jail' (#ad for book by Chris Blackhurst)!
I am very cautious about USA AI companies and Tech stocks. I try to buy only Picks and Shovels companies that have good forward order books and are still good value. Currently memory and disk manufacturers seem to fit that category. Gradually, I want to balance my holdings with more UK and EU stocks which offer good value and have some protection from the USA economy.
One problem I have at the moment is that I will have quite a large capital gains tax bill next year because I have sold quite a few shares in my Invest GIA this year already (due to the volatility caused by Trump, etc.). I guess it's a nice problem to have but I will now try to hold more index ETFs in my GIA and trade only within my ISA. However, £30k of my GIA is still as uncrystalised gains and only £5k of that is in ETFs.
At the moment, it feels like a game of Jenga crossed with the fable of 'The Emporer's new clothes'.
We are on a roller-coaster and approaching the crest of the ride, we must prepare for the descent and not stick our heads in the sand (how many more synonyms can I fit into this blog)!
Stocks that will be worth holding in a crisis include:
- Major oil / gas producers
- Gold and copper miners
- Big staple brands
- Large pharma / healthcare
- Utility monopolies
- Infrastructure operators
Current holdings and proportions
| T212 ISA portfolio |
I am hoping that Hynix, Samsung and the miners will grow and may take profits (esp. within the ISA) should things start to look 'wobbly'.
| Should we invest in Trump Meme coins dear? |
If you have to ask yourself the question 'Do I feel lucky' then investing is not for you. If you ask the question 'am I 95% certain that this stock will go up in value even if I have to wait a year?' and also 'What are the chances this stock will go down more than 20%?' then you can play a role in my new AI-generated film co-starring with Sid James and Hattie Jacques (both sadly deceased) - carry on investing!
No comments:
Post a Comment